NAMIBIAN STANDARDS INSTITUTION (NSI)
CREATING PEACE OF MIND THROUGH FACILITATING QUALITY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
ABOUT THE NSI
The Namibian Standards Institution (NSI) serves as Namibia’s only National Standards Body (NSB), National Metrology Institute (NMI) and Certification Body (CB) responsible for coordinating all trade-related standardisation and quality-assurance activities in the country.
The NSI was established in 2007 under the terms of the Standards Act (Act No. 18 of 2005) and became operational in January 2008. The NSI’s primary aim is to facilitate the development of national standards for application and use in business, government and consumer protection. The NSI provides conformity assessment services, testing, inspection, certification and metrology for selected products and services to assist manufacturers with consumer protection as well as accessing local and global markets.
The NSI manages and coordinates the implementation of the National Quality Policy:
- It develops Namibian standards to meet industry needs.
- It trains industry on relevant standards, e.g. ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System.
- It provides certification services to the industry, which is a third-party attestation that requirements of specific standards are fulfilled, e.g. ISO 9001 and ISO 22000.
- It provides food- and water-testing services.
- It inspects vessels, land-based factories and cold-storage facilities based on the require-
- ments of compulsory specifications.
- It calibrates and verifies services for relevant
- industries (dealing with pre-packaged
- goods) and measuring scales.
- It administers the Trade Metrology Act 2005
- and its amendments.
- It represents Namibia at regional and inter-
- national standardisation, conformity assess- ment (inspection, testing and certification) and metrology activities.
- The NSI Fishery Inspection Centre Division is recognised by the European Union Direc- torate-General for Health and Food Safety (DG SANTE) as the official inspection and certification authority for fishery products to the European Union market.
MISSION, VISION AND CORE VALUES
Vision: To be recognised as the centre of excellence for standardisation in Namibia
Mission: Promoting standardisation of products for the safety of consumers, protection of the environment and improved access to global markets
Brand promise: Creating peace of mind
Our core values:
- Stakeholder and customer centricity
- Integrity and ethics
- Respect for people
- Excellence and quality
OUR BUSINESS UNITS
Standards Development and Coordination The development of standards involves a huge collective effort from participating industry experts and interested stakeholders. The NSI ensures that standards are developed in compliance with the requirements of International Standards Organisation (ISO) and the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
The NSI sells international, regional or national standards.
The NSI Certification Department provides independent third-party conformity assessment services to its clients. Staffed by highly competent and experienced auditors, the department provides product certification and system and persons certification to the Namibian business community according to the requirements of ISO/IEC 17065, ISO/IEC 17021 and ISO/IEC 17024.
Namibian goods and services that meet the requirements of the applicable Namibian and any other international standards are awarded a certificate of conformity bearing a specific and applicable NSI Certification Mark of Conformity.
Testing and Inspection:
The NSI has a state-of-the-art testing centre in Walvis Bay and inspection centres operating in Walvis Bay, Windhoek and Lüderitz. The centres provide analytical services to commercial customers including the fishing industry, various food producers, local authorities, water-bottling companies, mines, cleaning companies and other private industries. The testing and inspection facilities are accredited to the international standards ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and ISO/IEC 17020:1998. Customers needing analysis are encouraged to approach the laboratory to engage with services on offer at +264 (64) 216600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Metrology, the science of measurement, is at the core of the National Quality Infrastructure, being the centre of the national measurement system. The Metrology Department of the NSI serves the functions of both National Metrology Institute and that of a National Legal Metrology Authority with the sole impetus of alleviating technical barriers to trade associated with measurements.
The Metrology Department is accredited by the Southern African Development Community Accreditation Services (SADCAS) for mass and volume and recommended for accreditation for temperature metrology services. The department services industries from the wholesale and retail sector, transport sector, pharmaceutical and medical and regulatory industries, the fishing industry, food industries, testing and calibration laboratories, and equipment suppliers.